Thursday, May 7, 2009

$17 Billion Down, $1.183 Trillion to go!

Wow, two posts in a row where I have to apologize to the President. He is showing fiscal restraint that would make Herbert Hoover proud. Thanks to an anonymous reader, I got a hold of this gem:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/06/white-house-official-obama-cut-programs-save-b-budget/

I know, I know...Fox News. Well, I'll just concentrate on the quotes. This from the President..."All across this country, Americans are responding to difficult economic times by tightening their belts and making tough decisions about where they need to spend and where they need to save," Obama said Thursday as he unveiled the details.
"The question the American people are asking is whether Washington is prepared to act with the same sense of responsibility," he said. "I believe we can and must do exactly that." Holy cow, I didn't make that up. Washington is going to spend wisely - the President even said so himself. He's backed up by Democratic Rep. John Spratt, chairman of the House Budget Committee..."While the Congress is unlikely to agree with all the changes proposed by the administration, the process and the resulting proposals are a step in the right directions, and a sign of fiscal discipline." It is a step in the right direction, like step one in a stroll from Idaho to Naples, Italy. Fiscal Discipline??? Cutting $17 Billion off of a $1.2 Trillion deficit is not exactly my idea of fiscal discipline - sort of like Imelda Marcos taking back two pair of shoes.

Call me a cynic, but methinks that the Spender-in-Chief is feigning some fiscal responsibility. The crazy thing is that his cuts are going to annoy some entrenched spending projects enjoyed by some members in Congress. Let's see how this august body reacts. Here's a bet that they give the President his moment in the sun and the media falls into line and proclaims him a careful spender of our money. I'm a careful spender too. I'm going to pay my credit card balance off this month. Match that Imelda - Citizen Zane

3 comments:

  1. Tighten their belts?? Ha! Has Dumbama asked any of them to take a paycut? Or slashed any of their benefits/perks? (Nasty Nancy flies home to CA on a government jet almost every weekend, not SWA coach!)How 'bout that retirement fund of theirs? Serve one term & get their salary? Anything Mr. Pres. cuts relates to us, not any project/persons that he has an interest in. It is time to take them all out,,one at a time and you can do this simply by voting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. How about, for the time being, we just send them home with no pay/benefits for 6 months or so, (they're not doing anything productive anyway)including El Hefe, his secret service might be a question, but OMG what a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous

    Wow, I couldn't agree with you more. Congress gave themselves a pay raise recently and I didn't hear about any of them offering to cut back, despite the economy. I wonder if Nancy's jet is subject to cap and trade...? Why doesn't she stand up for the environment and the taxpayer and get rid of that thing? It's because she cares only about Nancy. I also like the idea of sending them home for 6 months. I would even pay them to go off and do nothing, if only to prevent further damage! Even more than that, I like the idea of sending them home permanently. Thanks as always for your comments - Citizen Zane

    ReplyDelete